After Forever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2007: Interview with Sander

2 posters

Go down

2007: Interview with Sander Empty 2007: Interview with Sander

Post by Franneke Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:02 am

Just found this interview with Sander last year!
Enjoy!

After Forever
with Sander Gommans on May 21, 2007
Just before ther release of the fifth album of After Forever, I got the change to speak to Sander Gommans (guitar player, gunts, songwriter) face to face. So I went to his place with the new album and a lot of questions.
Hi Sander, congratulations on your new record. It’s called after the band self, can you explain why?
When recording an album, most of the time we know what direction we want to go. Most gothic bands play metal in the style of Within Temptation, just like we did on Decipher. At the time of Prisoners of Desire we wanted to write more melodic metal and have fewer classic influences. Exordium was much heavier. With Inner Circles we decided we wanted to be more progressive and the last album Remagine was musically positioned between Decipher and Invisible Circles.

This time we had no idea what we wanted at all. We just started without having an idea what the result would be. Later in the writing process we came to the conclusion that all elements of After Forever were in the songs, from Decipher till Remagine; so we decided to simply title the album `After Forever`.

Can you tell us something about the writing process?
Well, there has always been a good chemistry amongst the band members. Floor is always responsible for the lyrics and the vocal lines. On the first 2 albums, the melodies were made by Mark and me, on Invisibles Circles I did them on my own, and on the other albums Joost and I made the melodies. We always make a song and record it in the studio. All band members can give their interpretation on the songs, which finally results in the typical After Forever sound.

What inspires you when you are writing songs?
Perhaps it sounds strange but I always have to be in a good mood. That is a part of After Forever, it gives me a lot of energy. When I have the melodies in my head, I know exactly how the song should sound and what kind of style (riffs) the song should have; a heavy or bombastic style. The rest of the song is a just a logical continuation, it just seems to happen. It is so very different from the project I’m now working on, which is fed by irritation and aggression. Obviously, it sounds way different from After Forever.

Can you tell me more about this project?
The project is much more guitar oriented and a lot heavier then After Forever. On the songs you will hear a combination of rap, metal, melodies (in the studio of Sander the rough mix sounded great already!!) and styles that are more like Annihilator than After Forever.

You said you have to be in a good mood for writing After Forever-songs. When I compare this mood with the problem story of Invisible Circles, I clearly see a big controversy.
You’re absolutely right, but I don’t write the lyrics, Floor does. However, the story was my idea. As a teacher I have seen many situations like the one described in Invisible Circles. I had to do something with these stories and I wanted the world to be aware of this. So I decided to contribute my mite to helping these children by telling the world about these problems. Floor can put herself very good in someone else`s situation, which makes the store very realistic and emotional. The only thing I’m not happy about are the spoken words. At the time we recorded the album it fitted very well in the story, but now I must say it sounds less professional. Originally the ending was much worse, we decided to create a more open ending, it was a lot more positive.

On After forever you worked with several guess musicians like Doro and Jeff Waters. How did you get in touch with these people?
On stage After Forever is pledged a lot with metal music of the 80`s. At that time Doro was a big name in female hard rock music. On a festival our guitar player Bas met Doro and they talked about After Forever and Warlock. We had an idea of working together on our next cd. Bas suggested this to Doro, who immediately was very enthusiastic. Her vocals were recorded in the studio in Germany. The combination of the vocals of Doro and Floor sounds amazing; they go together very well.

The other guest musician is Jeff Waters, who is my hero and idol; I’ve got every cd of Annihilator. A lot of After Forever music is based on this band, Jeff`s style and their way of song writing. In my new project the songs are even more based on Annihilator.

I met Jeff occasionally on a festival in Berlin, we talked about a lot. After a while I had the courage to ask him if he would play a guitar solo on our new album. This guy is very down to earth, no swagger at all. He agreed, the management also agreed. I felt very honoured.

Would you agree that After Forever is the most guitar oriented album of After Forever?
You’re right and I can guarantee you this will be more and more. In the beginning of After Forever we were labelled as a gothic band. In this musical direction guitar solo`s are not very common. Since Invisible Circles we pretty much broke with the gothic style, our albums got heavier and therefore also more guitar oriented.

Actually I meant that on your last album there are a lot of guitar solo’s - in contrast with the earlier After Forever albums.
Well, I know what you mean. This is also the consequence of the more dynamic direction we turned into. I wrote all guitar parts, after Decipher I put more emphasis on heavy riffs. Now I feel it`s time to make the next step in our music and add more solo’s to the songs. Therefore I was very happy with the solo`s of Jeff Waters. We are big fans of 80`s metal and though we want to get rid of the gothic stamp we have, we certainly want to keep the classical influences; they are a part of After Forever. We have grown up.

What is your favourite track on the album?
I always listen to how songs sound, in that way Transitory is one my favourite songs; it has a lot of cool effects. The first song of the album ‘Cord’ stands for what After Forever is today, heavy and impressive. When I think of what the band After Forever is today, I also think of De-energized, which is a very good song; especially with Jeff’s guitar solo.

Joost was keyboard player with Sun Cage, he wrote a lot of songs and he had a lot of space to play complex melodies and solos. Don’t you think Joost will miss the extreme progressive and technical parts after a while?
No, I really don’t think so. From the Remagine album on he was involved in the writing process and took over the keyboard parts. With Sun Cage he got a lot of experience both on the writing process and in playing. Joost is a very talented songwriter and keyboard player. What is the power of Joost, is that he immediately knew what After Forever needed. I give him all the opportunities he needs to write the keyboard parts. Sun Caged is trying to find the boundaries, so is After Forever. He joined the band at the right time. We want to develop to more heavy and progressive songs; Joost is able to support us in this.

Especially on the song ‘Dream Flight’ he got the possibility to write a song with complex keyboard parts. It was a real challenge to write this song with its complex structure and a lot of challenging keyboard parts and guitar riffs. This song would not have been possible on one of our previous albums. I’m very proud of this song.

You broke up with the Transmission label and signed a contract with Nuclear Blast. Why Nuclear Blast?
For years we`ve had contacts with label companies like Sony, Roadrunner and Universe Records, who were all interested in After Forever. For us however, it is important to be at a real metal label because we are a metal band, and we want to do things our own way. Night Wish is contracted at Nuclear Blast and we visited the label in their office. From the first moment on it was clear that the guys at Nuclear Blast are really metal; they play metal and all these people are into the metal scene. They can promote us as a metal band, which was the most important reason for selecting them. Bands like Within Temptation have other things they find more important, more commercial; so they have signed with a different label. Don’t get me wrong, I think the way Within Temptation works is great as well, and for that reason that band is a great band also. The difference is that we put a little more emphasis on metal.

Is the new album the break through of After Forever?
To be honest, there are so many things you can’t control if you want a break through, I don’t believe in the big breakthrough of After Forever anymore. One of the most important things in this is that radio stations have to play our music. That is the only way to achieve that goal, through radio you can reach huge numbers of people. At the same time this is the biggest problem, because metal is just a small world. But for some reason radio doesn’t want to play metal music; and only if this changes After Forever really has a chance of a major breakthrough - especially with our new cd and our single ‘Energize me’.

You mentioned your new single, but there are more radio minded songs on the album. In my point of view the ballads of After Forever are really strong because they are full of emotions.
You’re absolutely right, it is a great power of the band. Normally I don’t like ballads at all; they are just sweet as honey, but without any real emotions. That is also the biggest problem of making a ballad. If you play a metal song over the top, it still sounds great. That`s different with a ballad: if a ballad goes over the top, it sounds like a fake. With ´Cry with a smile´ we gave Floor all the space she needs; Floor has the capacity to create a huge emotion with her vocals. Not many people can do that. In the song ´Strong´ she is at her very best, it is one of my favourite After Forever songs ever. At the end of the song her vocals turns over. At first we wanted to record to the vocals all over again, because it wasn’t perfect. Fortunately we didn’t do that though, therefore it has become an absolutely emotional ballad.

Can you make a living out of After Forever?
I have always worked as a teacher, but now I can’t combine the job with After Forever any longer. I find myself in an absurd situation: I gave up my job and at the same time I can’t play with After Forever on stage for a while. According to the doctor I have to take a rest. This exhaustion, the new album and the forthcoming tour have all together lead to a very strange situation. I hope I will be back on stage in three months time, and in this period there will be no replacement for me; so the set list will be limited. Bas will be the only guitar player and there will be no grunts.

To answer your question if I can make a living out of After Forever: I`m afraid not, so a breakthrough of After Forever would be very welcome. Actually my situation is sort of a compromise. Because of my job as teacher I have earned some money, that I invested in the band and in my home studio. Now I can record and mix the music of After Forever and my new project myself, at home. This is a big advantage, I can work on it anytime I want thanks to my earnings in the past.

Please can you complete the next sentences?
2007 is the year of

After Forever because After Forever finally breaks through and becomes world famous.

My wish is:

To be back on stage again soon and play the rest of the After Forever tour. I also hope that my project will be a big success.

After thanking Sander for the interview, he treated me to a private listening session in his studio to have a sneak preview of his new project. The mix was only a rough one, but it sounded great already!

from
www.rockezine.com
Franneke
Franneke
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 5070
Humor : I also hate sarcasm!!!!!!!!!
Bless :
2007: Interview with Sander Left_bar_bleue30 / 10030 / 1002007: Interview with Sander Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
2007: Interview with Sander Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 1002007: Interview with Sander Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-03-19

http://www.myspace.com/franciska_af

Back to top Go down

2007: Interview with Sander Empty Re: 2007: Interview with Sander

Post by The Key Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:27 am

Thanks for the interview!
The Key
The Key
The Ultimate AF Fan
The Ultimate AF Fan

Female
Number of posts : 4769
Humor : I hate sarcasm!!
Bless :
2007: Interview with Sander Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 1002007: Interview with Sander Right_bar_bleue

Curse :
2007: Interview with Sander Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 1002007: Interview with Sander Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by The Key Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:23 pm

New:

Guilherme Mitre – At first, we’d like to thank you for this opportunity and also greeting you for the extraordinary work you’ve been doing over the years.

Sander: Thank you very much, I appreciate that!

Metal Clube – You didn’t feel well some time ago. You had vertigo, convulsions and stress, and for that reason, some shows were canceled. By and large, how’s your health doing? Did your teammates give support you?

Sander: Well, I'm doing ok, but once you go too far with working over your limits, it's hard to get over that. I have to focus on things that make me relaxed, but obviously not everything in life makes you relaxed, and life still goes on, I also have to make a living and work.

But it's to take a break from After Forever for a while; the rest of the band has always been great to me and supported me 100%!

Metal Clube – The last work has already been quite spread and well accepted for the fans. Which is the outcome that After Forever has been getting from this work?

Sander: The outcome is good, but with After Forever albums there are always different opinion. We never do the same thing twice, and we also didn’t do that with the last album, so the opinions differ. In general, it's been received really positive by the press, and I feel happy with the way the album is doing! É possível que seu navegador não suporte a exibição desta imagem.

Metal Clube – According to you, Sander, this CD has a right to the name of After Forever, since it brings material from the beginning of the band. This is an effective method, since now a lot of bands prefer to innovate, but many times it is useless and even controversial. However, why did After Forever prefer to bet in a traditional style? Will the new work bring great innovations?

Sander: Well, like I said, also this album is innovative in a lot of ways for After Forever (compositions/real orchestra/different sounds/guest musicians/experimental songs) and every album will be like that.

I named it After Forever because it's a mix of all other albums AND new things, but mixed in a far better way. I honestly believe that we created the best we could when we wrote it. If there will be a next album, it'll be innovative again, and believe me, aggressive :-)

Metal Clube – You produced a heavier experimental work based on Trash Metal influences called HDK. There are several guest appearances into it, including the Brazilian singer, André Matos. Tell us about this work and André’s appearance.

Sander: Andre has a great personality, and he wants to make things perfect. He also experiments, and his voice sounds different on the HDK song Request than on his other work. It was great to meet him and experience him singing the stuff, and I'm really proud he helped me out with that!!!

Andre, if you happen to read this, YOU RULE!!!!!!!!

Metal Clube – Is there any chance of After Forever to release an album or even doing a tour with HDK?

Sander: No, I'm finishing the HDK together with Joost (keyboards After Forever) right now, and than I'll talk to the labels.

It's a project though, so not a live band. I think the After Forever might be surprised since it’s not only thrash, but a combination of many metal styles and vocalists, as well as musicians.

Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon) is also cooperating!

Amanda Somerville played a big role in the vocal lines/lyrics/vocals, which makes the project far more versatile. I can't wait to release it and hear all of your opinions!

Metal Clube – In the tour of the last album, After Forever didn’t come to Brazil. The forecasts given, including by you, that the band will return to Brazil in the first half of 2008 do not confirm because of the break of a year that you will give, right? So, is there any other prediction?

Sander: Yes, I was planning a tour through Brasil and, as you well said, unfortunately that didn’t work out because we decided we really needed a break.

I feel sad we couldn’t do the tour, but we need to offer you the best thing possible, and not an After Forever that can only give 50 %. É possível que seu navegador não suporte a exibição desta imagem.

So a tour in 2008 will definitely not be a possibility, but if we come back, you can be sure that a South American tour is one of the main priorities.

Whenever someone asks me about my After Forever experiences, I always talk about Brasil.....we won't forget you!!!!!!

Metal Clube – You already paid homage to some bands when you played versions like “The Evil that Men Do”, Iron Maiden and “The Final Countdown”, Europe. In September, you played a version of the song “For Whom The Bell Tools”, Metallica, in Milan, Italy, and the keyboard sound along with Bas Maas voice were perfectly pleasant. Could you tell us which is the process used for these covers and how is your fans’ reaction?

Sander: The reactions is always better than I expect, and for myself it's great to play covers, it's like a dream coming true, especially with The Final Countdown;-)

As a band, we decided what we want to play, and the main priority is that the song has to have certain energy and that it has to show a different side of what After Forever is about!

Metal Clube – In November 26, when After Forever and Epica played together on stage, in Hardenberg, Holland, an outstanding moment happened in the career of two bands. Although you did not participate, how was this meeting? Does After Forever have an easy relationship with Mark Jansen?

Sander: I don't know how the atmosphere was actually, I wasn’t there.

Mark and I see each other regularly, the relationship is good!

Metal Clube – Could the speculations about the recording of a live DVD be confirmed next year?

Sander: Tell us what is already known about the work.

Unfortunately, our old label Transmission owns the right about all our albums/songs/videos etc until the new album.

They won’t cooperate in making a DVD, so that's the reason we still haven’t got one. Transmission has done everything to ruin After Forever and I would like to know when they'll stop with that...

A DVD is so important for the fans and After Forever, it's really frustrating that we haven't been able to release decent one!

Metal Clube Even with a break of one year of After Forever, future plans should exist, correct? What are they, both of the band as Sander?

Sander: I will focus on finishing my project HDK, we'll take a break of at least a year with After Forever. This will be a real break, so I try not too think too much already about the things to come for After Forever. Let's first make sure I'll become healthy again, ahaha.

Metal Clube – Sander, I thank you very much for the great exclusive interview. Please, leave a message to the Brazilian fans that long for the After Forever return.

Sander: Thank YOU a lot!

Well, I already gave the message in one of the answers, Brasil will always be special to us, we are always talking about the Brasilians (but also about the people in general in South America), and your support is incredible!!!!!!!

Keep checking our myspace pages for news, on my mysace www.myspace.coms/sandergommans I'll be regularly posting news about After Forever related stuff (not that long ago I posted some early early After Forever artwork) and projects, hope to see you there and especially in Brasil again!

Sander Gommans

From: http://www.metalclube.com/content/view/4647/28/1/1/
The Key
The Key
The Ultimate AF Fan
The Ultimate AF Fan

Female
Bless :
2007: Interview with Sander Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 1002007: Interview with Sander Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

Back to top Go down

Post by Franneke Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:34 pm

The Key wrote:
Metal Clube Even with a break of one year of After Forever, future plans should exist, correct? What are they, both of the band as Sander?

Sander: I will focus on finishing my project HDK, we'll take a break of at least a year with After Forever. This will be a real break, so I try not too think too much already about the things to come for After Forever. Let's first make sure I'll become healthy again, ahaha.

sure...

Thanks for the interview Thais, I've already read it before!
Cheerzzz
Franneke
Franneke
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Bless :
2007: Interview with Sander Left_bar_bleue30 / 10030 / 1002007: Interview with Sander Right_bar_bleue

Curse :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Key Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:41 pm

De nada!

Yeah, I've already posted it in portuguese. hehe
The Key
The Key
The Ultimate AF Fan
The Ultimate AF Fan

Female
Bless :

Curse :

Back to top Go down

Post by Franneke Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:08 pm

another interview ( it's too long so here's just the link Razz)
http://www.lucemfero.com/afterforever052007.php
Franneke
Franneke
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Bless :

Curse :

Back to top Go down

Post by The Key Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:54 pm

I'll read it soon.
Thanks Fran!
The Key
The Key
The Ultimate AF Fan
The Ultimate AF Fan

Female
Bless :

Curse :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down